After a very delicious dinner of chicken fajitas at Lupe Tortilla in H-Town I settled in to watch the USC opener. I felt a bit numb watching the game due to the extensive penalties levied against the Trojans by the NCAA. The whole situation just stinks. I hope Reggie Bush and his family are proud of what they have caused.
A couple of brief thoughts on the game, which barely held my attention:
- Matt Barkley looked very sharp and much improved over last year. He can throw a spiral now!
- Ronald Johnson looked like a man among boys. If he stays healthy, he should have a monster season.
- Marc Tyler was awesome. Great vision, power and speed. Finally, we are seeing what made him such a highly regarded recruit out of high school at Oaks Christian.
- Robert Woods could be the best true freshmen WR we've had since RJ Soward. The sky is the limit for this kid.
- The defense was horrible. No run defense, no pass defense. It could get ugly when we actually play a quality opponent.
- Why was the middle linebacker Devon Kennard #42 playing pass defense 30-40 yards downfield? Makes no sense at all. He was burned several times.
12 hours and change until Bonaire express departs H-Town!